7 Times Kanye West Was a Fashion Visionary (in Honor of His GQ 'Most Stylish Man' Status)
We admit we were a bit surprised when Kanye West was named GQ‘s most stylish man of 2015. (He was voted No. 1 by readers!) But then we did a deeper dive into West’s year in style. Between his memorable quotes, his Yeezy Season 2 debut, his kontrol over Kim’s kloset and his dedication to deep-V shirts, we’re starting to understand why he landed on top.
If you need more convincing, check out highlights from the star’s stylish year below.
• When he styled Kim for the Grammys: “He saw this online at a couture show and sent me the picture and said, ‘Babe, do you like this dress?.’ He called the designer, gets it and it’s sitting my dressing room. I’m the luckiest woman alive,” Kim said of the plunging sequin Jean Paul Gaultier gown that sparked a million memes.
• When he introduced us to the drop-waist T-shirt: We didn’t even know this look existed until Kanye. Further proof that fashion pre-Yé wasn’t really fashion.
• When he called Ralph Lauren his daddy: Not much makes Kanye smile, but the iconic designer made an impression on the rapper. He even admitted to feeling starstruck after meeting his fellow designer, who placed his hand on the rapper’s cheek. “Do you know what he said when he did that? ‘This is my son,'” Kanye told T magazine of the embrace. “And I was thinking, ‘I knew it! I knew Ralph was my daddy!'”
RELATED VIDEO: What Does Rachel Zoe Think About Yeezy Season 2?: ‘Not Everything Should be the Same, it Wouldn’t be Fashion’
• When he declared sweatshirts “f—ing important”: “I think sweatshirts are the way of the future,” Kanye said in an interview with Vanity Fair about after his Yeezy Season 2 Fashion Show in September. “And we worked so hard on our development of our actual sweatshirts.”
Courtesy Kim Kardashian
• When he photographed Kim’s furkini moment: Yes, the Wests stage sexy cavewoman photoshoots on their vacations.
• When he wore athleisure on the red carpet: Really this look is about letting his mother-in-law, Kris Jenner, shine.
What do you think of Kanye’s ‘Most Stylish’ title? Sound off below.