How Long Should Guys' Shorts Be?

08/03/2006 at 04:34 PM ET

Believe it or not, men worry about hemlines, too. And when it comes to how short shorts should be, there is a growing debate. After seasons of long, droopy shorts ruling the lower bodies of men, they have been creeping up on some of summer’s hottest bodies. Matthew McConaughey (left) has become the ubiquitous boy of summer, spending all of his time outdoors in shorts and not much else. If you can pry your eyes off his torso, you’ll see that he is sporting the most popular short length for the summer: just at the knee. For those who feel even buffer? They may follow Hugh Jackman’s (middle) lead and head for a few inches above the knee. Or for the superfit, like David Beckham (right), the teeny, tiniest briefs will do nicely.

Tell us: What length do you like men’s shorts?

To see more Guy Style click here

For more summer fun, check out our 9 Star Ways to Beat the Heat Gallery

Photo: DR/X17, carlos costas/austra/zuma, louie d/ldpimages

Add A Comment

Got something to add to this post? Fill out the fields below to make a comment, ask a question or share a tip. We'd love to hear from you.

Note: If this is your first time commenting on Style News Now, your comment will need to be approved by our moderator before it will appear. Thanks for your patience, and check back again soon.

Showing 93 comments

Erik on

I realize a majority of women say they don’t like speedos on any guy. The approval for wearing speedos I get from the 5% of the ladies makes the rude gestures and comments from the other 95% more than tolerable.

Begriddled on

For practicality and looks a man’s swimsuit should be no longer than mid-thigh and preferably a brief swimsuit otherwise know as a speedo. Women, whether they are skinny, medium or huge, wear maillots, tank suits and bikinis with impunity so a man of any fitness should be able to wear a swimsuit like a speedo that is less revealing than what women wear and more practical for swimming than board shorts. I’m from the US, but Europeans and Brazilians have it right. I only hope Americans will eventually learn from them instead of spreading the blight of speedo-phobia to them. And, trying to ridicule a man because of one’s own insecurities and spite is very juvenile so man shouldn’t let the giggling of a child in an woman’s body stop him from wearing a swim brief.

sherri on

I think the longer the better! But… I have to say *WOW* to how David Beckham looks in that suit! He’s Awesome!(slurp) :)

Walleed on

I think mens shorts should be under the knees, no one needs to check out my thighs!

olha on

theyre all good…as long as theyre not naked…lol. u go to ukraine or russia everyone is swimmin in briefs…so its all good=)

kent on

Speedos are practical — they are comfortable to move in while being in and out of water. They provide support and carry little water.

Women wear form fitting swimwear; why is a man’s body in a speedo “gross” when a women’s body in a bikini is “fashionable”?

I would like women who are against speedos to go swimming with just a t-shirt and board shorts and then they can decide what they rather swim in — boardshorts or a speedo!

Celestine on

Got to know the limits, Beckham.

Ivan on

I wear speedos and I have the body and package Beckham has. No one’s ever complained or given me a negative look. I think girls who say don’t like it are lyiers. hahaha

Nawh, but if you really don’t like them, then DON’T LOOK AT ME! I feel comfortable and I honestly could care less who I offend with so many Christians being offended by everything.

night on

I don’t think there is a single other man who can pull off a speedo like David Beckham can. Until just now I thought a speedo was the single most disgusting look for any man. I have changed my mind..this guy is hot…even in a speedo.

Pat on

Board shorts = American burqas.

Next | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Show All

From Our Partners


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,510 other followers

Sign up for our daily newsletter and other special offers.
    Choose your newsletters
Thank you for signing up! Your request may take up to one week to be processed.
    see all newsletters